Harley-Davidson FAQs


-A government issued identification card

-Be over the age of fifteen and a half

-The ability to ride a bicycle

-Credit card for payment

What Gear will I need to bring?

Day 1:

Nothing but yourself and your ID!

Day's 2 & 3:

  • Helmet* – Full-face DOT-compliant helmets. Half helmets are prohibited. Personal helmets are subject to inspection for DOT-compliance and to make sure that they are in good working condition.
  • Eye protection – Face shield, goggles or some form of shatter resistant sun-/eyeglasses. They may be tinted or clear. Ordinary prescription glasses may be worn.
  • Gloves* – Must be full finger and cannot be open on the back of the hand. They must be street-motorcycle specific and/or durable leather. Mechanics gloves, batting gloves, Mom’s dishwashing gloves and surgeon’s gloves are NOT acceptable.
  • Pants – You must wear long, durable pants. No exceptions. Denim, textile or leather jeans are preferred. All pants are required to have NO holes in them and must come down to the foot. Spandex or cotton leggings are NOT acceptable.
  • Shirt – Durable leather or textile jackets are preferred but long sleeve T-shirts or dress shirts that reach the wrist are acceptable. (Shirts alone will barely protect you in a crash!)
  • Boots – Boots must be leather and over the ankle with little to no heel. Your footwear should have a good rubber sole for traction and the heel shouldn’t be higher than what is commonly on a “workman’s boot”. Thin fabric shoes made of canvas or other fabrics that do not provide support are not acceptable. The classic Converse All Star “Chuck Taylor” or dress shoe are examples of shoes that DO NOT meet the requirements.

*The Iron Steed Riding Academy course has helmets and gloves that you will be able to use. Gear availability will be first come, first serve. 


I passed the class! Now what?

Upon completion of the course (Riding & Written portions), you will be issued a DL389. You will need to take that form to your DMV office where they will issue you the California Mandated DMV Written Motorcycle Endorsement Test. Upon passing, the DMV will issue you a temporary paper license, stating your M1 Endorsement and you will receive a new license in the mail. 



More about the Course and Licensing

The California Motorcyclist Safety Program Motorcyclist Training Course is designed for the novice rider with no (or limited) street-riding experience. This course includes both classroom and on-cycle instruction. You will learn fundamental skills required to operate the motorcycle and progress to street riding skills and strategies.

Topics covered include fear, understanding how motorcycles turn, proper cornering strategies, and emergency crash avoidance skills. This course is based on the most current research in rider safety and utilizes modern training methods.

Though designed for new riders, any rider that has not taken a motorcycle course will benefit from this course. Motorcycles and helmets are provided in this course.

Learn everything you need to know about what will be expected during our Learn to Ride course and our Course Policies. We’re committed to helping you know all of the rules of the road so not only you are safe but everyone else on the road as well. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us or stop by our Vacaville, CA dealership. If you’re in the mood to window shop, or if you are thinking of adding another Harley to your collection, be sure and check out our latest inventory of new Harley Davidson motorcycles and used Harley Davidson motorcycles.